Contribute to the ongoing inventory of Canada’s species by downloading iNaturalist.ca and uploading your observations!
It’s “citizen science: that’s fun, educational and impactful.iNaturalist.ca
iNaturalist Canada is led by the Canadian Wildlife Federation (CWF) along with Parks Canada, NatureServe Canada and the Royal Ontario Museum (ROM)
Key features of the app (available for Android and iOS devices):
• Discover species new to you both near and far
• Record your own observations and share them with the community
• Receive suggestions and crowdsourced identifications of what you’ve seen
• Discuss and help others identify what they’ve seen
• Follow projects comprised of smaller communities and fellow citizen scientists passionate about a particular place and/or species
Below is a video on how to upload your observations:
As of September 20, 2020, iNaturalist has more than 50 million records of wild biodiversity with photos or sounds to allow verification by the community. Read more about this milestone.
iNaturalist.ca is part of the iNaturalist Network, which is a joint initiative of the California Academy of Sciences and the National Geographic Society.
Check out this video of a young scientist using iNaturalist in the field (via The Wild Report):
Have you used the iNaturalist app? Let us know what you think!
2 thoughts on “Be part of the citizen science community with iNaturalist.ca”
Hate Social Media but Love Nature? There’s an App for That https://thewalrus.ca/hate-social-media-but-love-nature-theres-an-app-for-that/
Check out this video of how iNaturalist is contributing to Citizen Science in B C ’s Provincial Parks – https://youtu.be/Puf-UE-YetE