When: Thursday, October 30, 2014
Time: 9:00am – 4:30 pm EST
Where: Sustainability Network, 215 Spadina Avenue (Ground Floor Connector), Toronto, ON.
Join us on Thursday October 30th at the Sustainability Network offices in Toronto for this one-day training session. The workshop will be hosted by John Swaigen of Ecojustice who has designed the session to educate nonprofits active in the environmental field about the legal tools available to protect our air, water, land, and human health.
The workshop will help you to understand what laws and policies exist to protect the environment and how to use them effectively as well as the opportunities provided by law to participate in government decision-making. It will also help you to understand where the legal framework for environmental protection is absent, incomplete or otherwise inadequate so that you can work to obtain stronger laws and policies.
Participants will receive a nuts and bolts overview of the laws that protect our environment. We’ll have legal experts covering a wide variety of key topics including:
– Dr Elaine MacDonald, Staff Scientist Ecojustice, on “soft law” remedies such as Federal Auditor General Petitions, CEC petitions, and FOI requests
– Charles Hatt, Staff Lawyer Ecojustice, on using tribunals and judicial reviews of administrative actions
– Lara Tessaro, Staff Lawyer Ecojustice, on Commissions of Inquiry
– Ian Miron, Staff Lawyer Ecojustice, on Charter challenges
– Ramani Nadarajah, Staff Lawyer Canadian Environmental Law Association, on private prosecutions
– Richard Lindgren, Staff Lawyer Canadian Environmental Law Association, on torts and using Ontario’s Environmental Bill of Rights, and
– Joseph Castrilli, Staff Lawyer, Canadian Environmental Law Association, on Environmental Assessment
Participants will also have an opportunity to engage in small group discussions to apply the day’s learnings to a fact situation in consultation with some participating lawyers.
Lunch and snacks will be provided. Registration ($100 pp)
To register: http://sustainabilitynetwork.ca/the-legal-toolkit/
One thought on “Legal Toolkit Workshop for Environmental Protection, Oct. 30, 2014”