Many farm animals in Canada lead sad lives, in cramped conditions.
Hens live out their lives in tiny cages. Pigs are raised in pens so small they can’t even turn around. Veal cows are prevented from moving so that their meat is more tender. The list of abuses is extensive.
The European Union is far ahead of Canada in terms of legislation protecting farm animals.
In the EU, all animals are afforded the following 5 freedoms:
- Freedom from hunger or thirst by ready access to fresh water and a diet to maintain full health and vigour
- Freedom from discomfort by providing an appropriate environment including shelter and a comfortable resting area
- Freedom from pain, injury or disease by prevention or rapid diagnosis and treatment
- Freedom to express normal behaviour by providing sufficient space, proper facilities and company of the animal’s own kind
- Freedom from fear and distress by ensuring conditions and treatment which avoid mental suffering
Canada does not offer any such protection.
If you want to get involved and take action on this issue, please sign this petition aimed at the Canadian government to afford the “5 Freedoms” to all farm animals in Canada.