From The J.W. McConnell Family Foundation – The Foundation is launching a new initiative: Sustainable Food Systems, created with the aim to strengthen regional food economies in Canada.
Canadians increasingly understand that a resilient and sustainable food system must address not only the economic wellbeing of producers and consumers, but also environmental impacts and human health outcomes. Local, diverse, and ecologically sustainable food initiatives are multiplying across the country, including eco-certification, regionally focussed restaurants and food markets, and healthy supply chain strategies that link informed consumers to local producers.
In order to assist this work, the Foundation’s Sustainable Food Systems initiative aims to strengthen regional food economies in Canada. We envision a food system that links growers and consumers in supply chains that incorporate shared values around sustainability, health, and resilience.
The Foundation is issuing a Request for Proposals for our Sustainable Food Systems initiative. The deadline for proposals is April 15, 2011. View the RFP for this initiative.
Visit the J.W. McConnell Family Foundation for more information.
- AJ Update: Just Food available now! (thegreenpages.ca)
- The Local Food Movement and Some Potential Barriers to its Success (bostongreen.wordpress.com)
- Wal-Mart to increase local food sourcing (marketwatch.com)
- What it Will Take to Make an Organic Nation (womenofgreen.com)
- Building the Green Economy: The Food Industry (joshuastarlight.wordpress.com)
- Making the Transition-We are Moving Towards Our Goals for Building a Sustainable Local Food System (phoenixgardens.wordpress.com)